Tuesday, March 18, 2008

you were always someone's fool

I credit my brother Jason for my love of Elton John - and my wide range of tastes in music. We used to sit upstairs in his room and listen to music for hours. Granted, we lived in a town of 500, so there wasn't a lot to do anyway, but I'm really lucky to have had a kick-ass brother who taught me a lot about music, comic books, and how to throw a great spiral. Thanks, Jas!

"Little Jeannie" is one of Elton's more underrated songs, in my opinion. The melody, the brooding, reflective lyrics, and just the right amount of horn and percussion to sound almost tropical come together in a perfect brew that touches the soul. Who doesn't hear this song and reflect upon some person or situation in their life that they wish they could change, but know they can't do anything about? I've been moping over this song since I was about 5, and I certainly don't plan to stop anytime soon.

Now, "The Bitch is Back" is another childhood story,which I will tell you another time.

"Little Jeannie", Elton John, 1980


No comments: