Saturday, March 29, 2008

I beg to differ

There are so many songs that I can't remember when I started liking them or even when I first heard them, it's as if I have always existed knowing and loving them. I wish I could say that my mom listened to some pretty groovy stuff while I was in utero, but I know she loves Meatloaf and Pat Benetar, so I'm dismissing that idea immediately.

Anyway, this is one of those songs. Climax Blues Band's "Couldn't Get it Right" is one of my absolute favorites, and the fact that CBB also did the polar opposite "I love you" makes both songs even better because they contrast so much.

Where do I start? The creepily deep vocals, the funk-infused baseline, the synthesizer in the background, the obscure lyrics, and the slight pause right before the chorus all add up to one great song. Another great thing about it is that it came out in 1976, during the midst of singer-songwriters and arena rock. Can you see this song fitting into either category? Not really. This song has just a touch of dance-disco in it, and I really feel like it was 2-3 years ahead of its time.

The last thing I'll say about it is that you can't fit this song into any particular genre. There's a lot going on, yet it all comes together coherently. A song like this would have a good chance of coming out today and being played on the radio (though I admit the synth would probably sound different, which is a total shame and goes to show things happen when they are supposed to). This band wasn't trying to fit anywhere, they wanted to make good music, regardless of what was going on. I love when an artist has that sort of attitude, and I feel like it really shows.

"Couldn't Get it Right", Climax Blues Band, 1976


No comments: